We will use the personal data gathered over this website as set out in this policy. Below you will find information on how we use your personal data, for which purposes your personal data is used, with whom it is shared and what control and information rights you may have.
I. Summary of our processing activities
The following summary provides you with a quick overview of the processing activities that are undertaken on our website. You will find more detailed information under the indicated sections below.
- When you visit our website for informational reasons without setting up an account, only limited personal data will be processed to provide you with the website itself (see section III).
- In case you register for one our services (e.g. discussion forum, blog, media portal, or journal services) or subscribe to our newsletter, further personal data will be processed in the scope of such services (see sections IV, V and VI).
- Furthermore, your personal data will be used to provide you with interesting advertising for our services and products (see section VIII) and for statistical analysis that helps us to improve our website (see section IX). Additionally, we improve your website experience with third party content (see section X).
- Your personal data may be disclosed to third parties (see section XI) that might be located outside your country of residence; potentially, different data protection standards may apply (see section XII).
- We have implemented appropriate safeguards to secure your personal data (see section XIII) and retain your personal data only as long as necessary (see section XIV).
- Personal data: means any information relating to a natural person who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, or an online identifier.
- Processing: means any operation which is performed on personal data, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or any kind of disclosure or other use.
III. Informational use of the Website
When you visit our website for informational reasons, i.e. without registering for any of our provided services and without providing us with personal data in any other form, we may automatically collect additional information about you which will contain personal data only in limited cases and which is automatically recognized by our server. This collected information includes:
- the website from which you have been directed
- the date and time of your requests
- your device type, screen resolution and browser version
- your internet service provider
- information on your operating system, including language settings
- information on the offers you have visited on our website
We use such information only to assist us in providing an effective service (e.g. to adapt our website to the needs of your device or to allow you to log in to our website), and to collect broad demographic information for anonymized, aggregated use.
IV. Registration for our services
Our website offers a media portal, access to the BAPS Swaminarayan Research, the option to obtain newsletters, and special author and trainer services. In order to use the aforementioned services, you may be asked to set up an account. With regard to the registration of an account and its subsequent use, we process:
- Information (such as your name and email address) that is provided by registration
- Information in connection with an account sign-in facility (e.g. log-in and password details)
- Communications sent by you (e.g. via e-mail or website communication forms)
Whenever you complete transactions using our website, e.g. purchasing a publication, further data processing processes may take place.
We will process the personal data you provide to:
- Identify you at sign-in
- Provide you with the services and information offered through the website or which you request
- Administer your account
- Communicate with you
- Conduct behavioural profiling
The use of your personal data for behavioural profiling is done for the legitimate interest to improve your experience while using the website.
Your personal data is, in the absence of exceptions within the specific services mentioned below, retained for as long as your user account is used. After deletion of your account, your personal data will be blocked and erased with the next database clean up. Statutory storage obligations or the need for legal actions that may arise from misconduct within the services or payment problems can lead to a longer retention of your personal data.
V. Information about the specific uses that require registration
For the use of the following services you have to set up an account. Your account retains your personal data for future interactions and other activity.
1. Online Purchasing
By statutory law we are required to retain the provided financial data in relation to transactions (including address, payment and order information).
2. Author and Instructor Services
If you use the author and instructor services, the required data are retained for the duration of the process plus a security period.
3. Other Services
To provide certain save functionalities we need your log-in data to identify you and to provide the stored results.
VI. Newsletter and Mailing List Services
With your email address you can subscribe to our newsletter or mailing list service which provides you with the latest news about events and services if you consent to receiving such newsletters. These communications may also contain topic-specific advertisements. Your email address and relevant contact information will be retained when you subscribe these services.
You may unsubscribe from these services by following the instructions provided.
VII. Automated Decision Making
We do not use your personal data for automated decision making which produces legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affects you.
VIII. Online Advertising
This website may use online advertising services to present you with ads that meet your interests. Respective advertisement is labelled with the name of the provider, e.g. “Google-Ad”. Additionally, this service helps us to improve our website and to make your visit more interesting. In order to do so, we collect statistical information about you that will be processed by the provider. This processing represents our legitimate interest to improve your website experience and to promote our products and services.
Providers will be automatically informed about your visit on our website. For such purpose, a web beacon is used to place a cookie on your computer.
Please note that we neither have the control of the extent of personal data that is collected by the respective plug-in provider nor do we know the processing’s purpose or the period your personal data will be retained. Depending on the provider your personal data may be transferred to and processed in other countries. For further information about the potential risks of a cross border data transfer please refer to section XII.
It is possible that a provider discloses your personal data to its business partners, third parties or authorities.
You can prevent the installation of such a cookie
- by a respective setting of your browser that blocks the installation of third-party cookies,
- by deactivating the provider’s interest-related advertising under the link mentioned in the provider details below,
- or generally blocking cookies under e.g http://www.google.com/settings/ads/plugin.
For statistical analyses we use web analytics services to collect information about the use of this site.
General Tracking Information
The tools collect information such as
- Device and browser information (operating system information, Mobile device identifier, mobile operating system, etc.)
- IP address
- Page accessed, URL click stream (the chronological order of our internet sites you visited)
- Geographic location
- Time of visit
- Referring site, application, or service
We use the information we get from the providers only to determine the most useful information you are looking for, and to improve and optimize this website.
Depending on the provider the information generated about your use of the website may be transferred to and processed in third countries, e.g. the United States. For further information about the potential risks of a cross border data transfer please refer to section XII. Tools collect the IP address assigned to you on the date you visit this site. The provider will use this information in order to evaluate your use of the website, to compile reports on website activities and to provide other services relating to website and internet use to us.
The use of these tools represents our legitimate interest to analyze our website’s traffic to improve the user’s experience and to optimize the website.
X. Third Party Content and Social Media Plug-ins
We may potentially use the following social media plug-ins: Facebook, YouTube, Google+, Twitter. These plug-ins allow you to communicate with such services and like or comment from our website. Social media plug-ins enable a direct communication between your device and the servers of the social media provider, allowing the social media provider to communicate with you and collect information about you browsing our website. This processing represents our legitimate interest to improve your website experience and to optimize our services.
Transfer of personal data takes places whether you have an account with the provider or not.
Please note that we neither have the control of the extent of personal data that is collected by the respective plug-in provider nor do we know the processing’s purpose or the period your personal data will be retained.
XI. Information Sharing
Your personal data will only be disclosed to a third party to the extent necessary to fulfil our contractual relationship (if at all).
We may disclose anonymous aggregate statistics about users of the website in order to describe our services to prospective partners, advertisers and other reputable third parties and for other lawful purposes.
Information sharing will be based on data processing agreements. Therefore, our contractors will only use your personal data to the extent necessary to perform their functions and will be contractually bound to process your personal data in compliance with our requests.
In the event that we undergo re-organization, any personal data we hold about you may be transferred to that re-organized entity or third party in compliance with applicable law.
We may disclose your personal data if legally entitled or required to do so (for example if required by law or by a court order).
XII. Cross Border Data Transfers
Within the scope of our information sharing activities set out above, your personal data may be transferred to other countries which may have different data protection standards from your country of residence. Please note that data processed in a foreign country may be subject to foreign laws and accessible to foreign governments, courts, law enforcement, and regulatory agencies.
We have reasonable state of the art security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal data under our control. For example, our security and privacy policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary and only authorized personnel have access to personal data. Whilst we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information will never occur, we use all reasonable efforts to prevent it.
You should bear in mind that submission of information over the internet is never entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of information you submit via our website whilst it is in transit over the internet and any such submission is at your own risk.
XIV. Data Retention
We strive to keep our processing activities with respect to your personal data as limited as possible. In the absence of specific retention periods set out in this policy, your personal data will be retained only for as long as we need it to fulfil the purpose for which we have collected it and, if applicable, as long as required by statutory retention requirements.
XV. Contacting Us
The information you provide when contacting us will be processed to handle your request.
XVI. Amendments to this Policy